List of Usenet local hierarchies
If you know a hierarchy which is not listed in these pages or if you have more up-to-date information about an existing hierarchy, please send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to news.admin.hierarchies so that these pages can be updated.
A local hierarchy is a private hierarchy intended to be used only by the organization itself. It is not generally distributed.
Please remove all groups in such a hierarchy from your news server, unless you've contacted the listed contact address and arranged a feed. If you have permission to carry them, you should change the entries hereby provided for their control articles.
- ACS (Ohio State University, USA)
- ARC (NASA Ames Research Center, USA)
- BACKBONE (ruhr.de/ruhrgebiet.individual.net in Germany)
- BEST (Best Internet Communications, Inc.)
- BIRK (University of Oslo, Norway)
- CAIS (Capital Area Internet Services)
- CD-ONLINE (?)
- CENTRAL (The Internet Company of New Zealand, Wellington, NZ)
- CHAVEN (Celestian Haven ISP, Midwest, USA)
- CMI (Champaign County, IL, USA)
- CMU (Carnegie-Mellon University, Pennsylvania, USA)
- CU (University of Colorado)
- CUHK (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
- DUKE (Duke University, USA)
- HARVARD (Harvard University, Cambridge, MA)
- IBMNET (?)
- ICONZ (The Internet Company of New Zealand, New Zealand)
- KRST (University of Oslo, Norway)
- KWNET (Kitchener-Waterloo?)
- MANAWATU (Manawatu district, New Zealand)
- MCMASTER (McMaster University, Ontario)
- MCOM (Netscape Inc, USA)
- METROPOLIS (?)
- NAS (NAS, NASA Ames Research Center, USA)
- NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration, USA)
- NCF (National Capital Freenet, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada)
- NCU (National Central University, Taiwan)
- NETINS (netINS, Inc)
- NEWS4US (NEWS4US dot NL, Netherlands)
- OSU (Ohio State University, USA)
- PLANET (PlaNet FreeNZ co-operative, New Zealand)
- PRIMA (prima.ruhr.de/Prima e.V. in Germany)
- PSU (Penn State University, USA)
- RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, USA)
- SDSU (San Diego State University, CA)
- SU (Stanford University, USA)
- TELE (Tele Danmark Internet)
- TERMVAKT (University of Oslo, Norway)
- UT (University of Toronto, Canada)
- UTEXAS (University of Texas, USA)
- UTWENTE (University of Twente, Netherlands)
- UVA (University of Virginia, USA)
- UWARWICK (University of Warwick, UK)
- WORLDONLINE (?)
- WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA)
- YORK (York University, Toronto, ON)
↑ Return to top of page
You can display information about up to 30 hierarchies in the row by loading a web page of the form:
http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/comp,humanities,misc,news,rec,sci,soc,talk.html (example for the Big 8).
Information in these pages comes from INN's control.ctl, ftp.isc.org newsgroups file, the list of PGP public keys for newsgroup administration and the logs of control messages.
Those external data are used to generate this web site. To report an issue about the generation, please use the issue tracker on GitHub or post to news.admin.hierarchies.
You might also want to read the Usenet hierarchy administration FAQ.